Chapter 6: Independent Reading Time

Have you ever read a professional development book and thought to yourself this is my ultimate dream to be THIS kind of teacher or librarian? Well this book has been just that for me. One of those resources that comes along and you want everyone in your building and district to pick it up, read it, and start implementing the ideas like yesterday!
Bitmoji Image

So I want to start this blog off with a couple of questions for you. What was independent reading time like for you growing up? Maybe what does it even look like now for you as an adult? Do you have time to read independently? Have you ever read a book that you CRAVED independent reading time? 
Bitmoji Image

In this chapter it talked about how and what independent reading time is. Independent reading time is a time that is designed to read what YOU are interested in. This isn't something that is given as a required reading, but something that really sparks YOUR interest. It isn't something that students can be expected to know how to do but is something that needs to be taught to students. It is IMPORTANT that students are given the opportunity for independent reading, and shown the many different times throughout the day that they can have independent reading time. 

As a JH librarian I hear almost daily from students that they just don't have any time to read. In this day and age people don't realize just how much time is wasted that could be used to read though. In this chapter it talked about different transitions that gives students the opportunity to read. 
  • Bathroom breaks
  • Picture Day
  • Waiting to go into different classes
  • Finishing an assignment or test early
  • Bus rides to and from school
Most importantly is that independent reading develops comprehension, fluency, vocabulary, and stamina for reading. That doesn't start with forcing them to use this time to read something for a class but when they get to read what THEY like. Think about the great conversations that could take place between students and staff in your building if everyone was doing this!

Now if you would please excuse me I am going to go and read now! 
Bitmoji Image

Comments

  1. As a child, I was on vacation one time and got into trouble for reading too much and not enjoying all the fun things we were doing. I was and have always been a book worm. I have always loved to read. Now, I try to read for enjoyment for at least 10 minutes a day and I also read my bible every evening before I go to sleep. I struggle with finding the time to read, but I feel that it is important to model it for my students and for my kids.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I was a child, I remember being read to by my older sister. She would grab a blanket and a pile of books and we would go to the shade of the big tree in our front yard and read. It was so much fun. I adored her then and still do. I can't believe how much she gave me by reading to me. I have such a love for reading. If I was only allowed to do one thing for fun, reading is what I'd choose. I still love to read and it doesn't feel right if I don't have a book going. I use the book as a reward when I'm home doing housework. If I get the dishwasher cleaned out...I get to read a chapter. After I clean my bedroom...I get to read a chapter. This helps me get my work done. If I didn't have a plan, I would read to the end of the book and not accomplish any of my housework. I also let myself read when I'm walking on the treadmill. My one stipulation when I bought the treadmill was to be sure it had a place to set my book or ereader. I love to read and it makes me good at my job because I want all these kids to have the same pleasure that I get out of reading.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I was a child, I would read every time I had a break or finished an assignment early. Even in college, I would read a Stephen King book while I was waiting for a class to start if I wasn't working on homework. Then I got a "real" job and I was going to graduate school. As I worked on my advanced degrees, I didn't find time to read anything but course related materials. After I graduated with my doctorate degree, I didn't pick up a book for a few months. Then I got my first e-reader (Barnes and Noble Nook) and I began to read and read. I could take that little device any where and read any time. I've upgraded to a Kindle and I try to balance my reading choices with pleasure and work. I find I read a lot more professional development books than anything but I'm trying to strike a balance.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment