Chapter 11: Encourage Reading at Home, on the Go, Everywhere!

ENCOURAGE READING AT HOME, ON THE GO, EVERYWHERE!


I’m a librarian so I felt like I was doing a good job of encouraging reading at my schools, but after reading chapter 11, I realized that I’m only reaching a certain population of my patrons...my students.


Do you encourage PARENTS to take part in the reading process?


As a librarian, I know the best reading practices, strategies and resources, but most parents don’t have a clue. I should be doing my part to empower parents to make reading an important part of their family by being a better communicator.


The book offered several good ideas for literacy leaders to use to highlight books with parents:
  • Share books at PTO meetings
  • Help parents provide reading materials at home
  • Utilize technology to encourage reading


Throughout the year my libraries have been able to encourage parents several different ways to partner with the school to lead with literacy. (See photos below.)

Chapter 11 really made me reflect about how I involve parents in my libraries. Next year, I plan to do more to make parents active participants in the library. I will do this using Class Dojo and Facebook. It would be very easy for me to highlight good literature and authors on social media. I could also encourage parents to visit the library throughout the school year to check out books to share with their children.

How to you involve PARENTS in the reading process?

Parents visit the library throughout the year during family events. At both schools families are given books to keep at home as a way to encourage reading together as a family.













 Our technology event was a great way to connect with parents and showcase resources that we use in the library to teach literacy.

Comments