Chapter 12: Get Enthusiastic about Reading!

GET ENTHUSIASTIC ABOUT READING!


Librarians typically don’t need to be reminded to get enthusiastic about reading, but just in case you
need a little pep talk here are some things that have encouraged me (the librarian), teachers, and
students this year.


We are very fortunate in Webb City to have encouragement from the highest level of administration.
Dr. Moeller meets regularly with librarians and is very involved in what happens in our day to day
operations. His support encourages all of us to dig deep to create meaningful learning opportunities
for all of our patrons. Librarians in our district are constantly partnering with teachers to foster a love
of reading for our students. The support that we receive from Central Office makes me very enthusiastic
about reading, and in turn the positive energy becomes a like a ripple effect impacting teachers, parents,
students and even our communities.


The book suggests several items that administrators can do to promote school engagement:
  • Administrators need to remember what it was like to sit on the other side of the desk.
  • The norms of collaborations need to continually be monitored by staff.
  • Principals need to take risks and support teachers as they take risks.
  • Recognition and support validates teachers.
  • Hiring and mentoring practices need to support ongoing learning.
  • A school that is student focused accepts responsibility for all learners.


Partnering with teachers has been very powerful for my colleagues this year. In my first year as a
librarian, I truly feel like a made a difference for teachers. I’ve helped create curriculum for two different
core teams this year so I feel like I know the curriculum really well and can support what is happening in
the classroom. I’m also co-teaching at the Kindergarten level which has been extremely helpful
throughout my first year with the primary students. I’ve also worked with teachers to implement an
effective RTI program. When I look back at the year, it is mind boggling the amount of work we’ve
accomplished TOGETHER this year.


How do you balance keeping up with your libraries and collaborating with teachers?


The chapter goes on to discuss positive notes, phone calls, and reading rewards as different ways
to get our students enthusiastic about reading. This is something we’ve really been working on this year.
We are now using Choice Boards as a way to celebrate reading rather than reading for AR points at
Carterville. My favorite reading celebration this year was our Cardinal Book Madness event. Our third
grade students had the opportunity to collaborate with third graders at Mark Twain to learn about
characters that persevere.

How do you create enthusiasm for your patrons? Next year, I am going to continue to think of ways to
positively celebrate reading in my buildings.

Comments