Chapter 9: Treasure the Risks and Rewards of Setting Big Goals

"Hope on its own doesn't create change. Action does."
                                                                                     -- Lead Like A Pirate

This chapter had such vivid examples of what it takes to reach big goals. It takes your from the thrill of the journey to the team it takes to make it. 

The Journey: 


Roller coasters can a scary and thrilling ride for any age. Taking a risk to improve our libraries can feel much the same way.  It takes time to create change (standing in long lines), we get nervous and excited all at the same time, there are times when things slow down only to speed up. In the end, we can look back and see (hopefully) an amazing ride that was worth it.

This is my second year as a librarian. I see so many changes I would like to make to increase the use of the library by students and staff members. Many of the changes I want to make are not something that can be done overnight or even within one school year. Currently I'm working on two major projects: (1) Improving DIRT day by interest grouping students; and (2) Reorganizing the fiction section by genre. The roller coaster ride has begun.

Building the Team: 


The author uses following four points to build a team that will promote a positive culture:


  1. "A winning team made up of talented and committed individuals promotes positive culture"
  2. "Fans and cheerleaders that encourage and support the team are vital to success"
  3. A head coach and other leaders provide vision and support for the players to execute plays and make history!"
  4. "A strong and identifiable brand is formed and communicated throughout the community"


I have to admit, I do not use the same "team" for each project. As I was reading this I thought, "Oh my! I do this! Score!!" I truly believe that #1-3 change depending on the project but #4 was one of the first things I did last year. I wanted staff and students to know that when they saw Wordy Bird that whatever it was, it was from the library.



Wordy Bird, the library mascot,  is found on our monthly newsletter (The Potty Mouth) that is placed in the bathroom stalls. In March, we do a #FlatWordyBird contest similar to Flat Stanley. After reading this chapter I know I need to do even more to brand our library, but I feel I'm off to a good start.

Where To Go From Here: 

I need to do a better job of identifying measurable goals for my library. With that in mind, what are your goals for your library and how do you measure them?

Comments

  1. Of course, I do all the basic forms of measurement, like inventory of books, check in and check out reports, and AR reading reports. I also try to have something special going on in the library at least once a month. Some years, I do a teacher survey to see what they like and what they don't. This all helps me measure if the library is being successful or not.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment