Chapter 7: Learning Environment

What is your favorite place to read at? Mine would be in my recliner with my favorite blanket and a nice glass of ice cold milk. There is something just relaxing and perfect about that location.

So my next question is does our learning environments create that same kind of feeling that my chair and blanket does for me? Do have different spaces not just in our classrooms, but everywhere in our school that are comfortable for reading? Does reading really have to take place just in the classroom or library? These are the questions that came up in this chapter. 

Here are some of the different spaces we have in our library for reading. 


Although the library has many different areas for reading, what about our schools? Do we have comfortable sitting outside the classrooms? It is things to think about about a ponder. 

I loved the idea of #BookShelfie Station! This can be a place where students can take a selfie with whatever book they are reading and share that picture with other students, staff, and teachers. Get students to tag your school Instagram and Twitter account. Create a common hashtag for your school that students to could. This simple idea can transform your school into a reading community. It just reinforces the love of reading from others in the building and not just from the crazy librarian!

Bitmoji Image 

Comments

  1. My favorite place to read is in my bed with pillows propped up behind me. I have the perfect light, so the overhead light goes off and my reading light goes on. I love it when there is no one else in the house and all devices are off--such as TVs. I get to be in my own little world with only the characters of the book going through my thoughts. I love "getting away" in a good book.

    I would love to make more reading places in my library. We have a lot of room, but we have to leave the open spaces so that we can have large groups of kids come in. Sometimes we have presentations from speakers and sometimes we need it for things like indoor recess. I love that the library is used for so many things, but I would love it if I could add couches, bean bags and other comfy places to read.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment