Chapter 1 Create A Culture of Readers

The major points of this chapter were that reading is vital and we should ensure our students become readers,  we need to do more that develop a culture of reading, we need to "establish a culture where students have choice, access and ability to read and connect with books." 

When I first read this chapter I saw it through rose colored glasses. I love reading so boom... right? I have conversations ALL the time with kids about books and what they like to read. I teach K-4, so in kindergarten they want to read so bad and start to read. In first grade they want to read a higher dot color. Second grade, they flirt with the chapter books and start to read them. Third grade it is all about the chapter books and meeting a goal. Fourth grade it's about the thickness of the book and meeting the goal. 

Where does the love of reading get lost for some? Do some kids naturally just not like it? What do we do to develop it?  Is our focus on goals and not enjoyment? There are two sides to that coin. Some would never pick up a book or know where the library was if it wasn't for these goals.  Some would read more because their options are endless.

My son, Brett, hates to read. It killed me at first, because I didn't get it. I was his librarian, I knew we had books he would like. I talked to him and bought tons of books from book fairs that went into the donation basket after never being read. We read to him as a kid and I felt like we did a good job as parents encouraging him to read. My husband is the same way. I just don't get it. So I sat Brett down and tried to get to the bottom of it. Here is what he had to say:





So, here is my question to you, what are two positive things you feel like you are doing to encourage reading and what are is something you feel like you could improve on?

Comments

  1. We struggle with that at the high school. We are going to be starting a student literacy committee made up of students who would not consider themselves as readers. I'll be honest, I feel that we have left those kids behind. They read because they have to and not because they want to.

    I don't know how many homeroom teachers tell me, "My homeroom hates to read. It's just a battle on DIRT day." I know some think the solution is to force the teachers to enforce DIRT day. Yes, forcing kids and teachers to read it going to instill a love of reading. Really?

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a librarian to 1st and 2nd graders, I get to purchase all kinds of fun books. We are always going through catalogs and reading book reviews so we don't miss out on the really good books that kids will want to read. We also listen to them and let them ask us questions about the books that we have and don't have. If the kids make a suggestion on something I don't have, I get it on my list pronto. I try to match kids up with the books that I know they would enjoy reading. I know, however, that sometimes I get busy and rush them through. But all throughout the year, I find good books and read them to the kids. If I know that I won't have time, I ask the teachers to read it to them. They always love suggestions on read alouds.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment